"Widow's Peak" (originally called as "Bride in the Fog") is a song performed by Bat For Lashes. It serves as the eighth track on Natasha's fourth album, The Bride.
On 19 December 2015, Natasha posted a photo of her recording a "spoken word poem" on Instagram announcing this song's title.
The way she composed the songs on The Bride was markedly different to writing her other records. She wrote the song titles first, decided what order they would run on the album and then created the words and music. Most of the titles came to her quickly, but some took a little longer to finish.
“"Joe’s Dream" was called originally called "Don’t Say Goodbye", "Widows Peak" was "Bride in the Fog". "If I Knew" was there early as well, I just didn’t know what it was called straightaway.”
On March 10, 2016, she shared the behind-the-scenes photoshoot for the album with a snippet of the track playing in the background. Months later, on June 28, 2016, Natasha shared a fragment of what would probably be the music video for the track on her Instagram account.
Music and composition
Within The Bride's story,
“It’s a moment where she could lose everything, when grief turns you into something you don’t want to be, where it hardens your heart like a Miss Havisham character. That’s the part where she could go to the dark side, but she doesn’t.”
In a interview, Natasha said the song is about the bride not letting go of the grieving process:
“The song Widow’s Peak, there’s an aspect, there’s part of the album where she gets kind of hunted, almost, by a widow, but the widow is personification of the cynical, hardened heart, someone who can’t let go of the grief and who becomes a misshapen or hardened person, so he does flirt with that.”
- Natasha Khan - songwriting, production, vocals, celesta, vibraphone
- Alex Reeves - timpani, drums and percussion
- Dawn Landes - backing vocals, guitar
- David Baron - sound effects
- Simone Felice - songwriting, recording engineer
- "Spoken word poem "Widow's Peak" complete! You guys are gonna FREAK OUT!". 19 December 2015. Instagram.
- "Bat For Lashes: Til death us do part". 30 June 2016. BBC.
- "Becoming The Bride With Bat For Lashes". 2016. Pilerats.